Spiritual practice is inherently nebulous. If we reify our goals and visions too much then we lose touch with the true nature of reality and the magic of existence that we are trying to get in touch with in the first place.
However, it’s important that we do have some way of reflecting on our practice – to help us see what is working, appreciate the positive changes and focus on the things that are most helpful.
These questions are designed to help you reflect on your practices so that you can see the benefit and can evaluate what is working best for you.
It’s important to answer honestly – if something isn’t working for you, it’s better to be aware of this, so that you can change it.
It’s also important to come from a place of compassion – life and spiritual practice are hard. This is a chance to arrive where you are, to make some space to be with what it brings up and to think about what you care about most.
If good things aren’t happening for you, it’s not a sign that you are doing anything wrong or that the practices are necessarily bad.
It could be a sign that things are getting worse before they get better – spirituality needs to allow for our darkness, too. Sometimes we need to go through something hard in order to grow and deepen our experience.
Or it could be a sign that you may need to take stock and then redirect your efforts somewhere that feels more like the right direction.
We also don’t need to be meeting all these questions, all the time. A practice can help us focus on developing the one or two areas that feel most important and alive for us at the moment.
Ultimately, it is important to remember that there are no right or wrong answers – it is all an experiment. These questions are intended as a way to empower you in reviewing how that experiment is going for you.
All these questions are hinged around the belief that spiritual practice is here to help us cultivate more freedom, beauty, truth and love in the world.
You can use these questions in whatever way feels most helpful. It is useful to choose a specific practice or retreat and to answer the questions about this to keep things focused.
- Are you able to be more sincere as a result of this practice?
- Has your practice allowed you to create more space for other people to be more sincere in your presence?
- Can you remember how you felt in yourself before you did this practice? Are there ways you feel differently now?
- Can you remember how you perceived life or experience before you did this practice? Are there ways you see things differently now?
- Do you feel you understand life, or your experience of it, more clearly?
- Has it given you access to pleasant experiences that feel supportive?
- Do you have a deeper capacity to be with pain, challenge or darkness in your experience in a compassionate way?
- Do you feel more resilient as a result of this practice?
- Are you clearer on your intentions in life? Are you allowing yourself to connect more freely with your deepest desires?
- Do you feel more fully alive?
- Are you more in touch with what you find beautiful and meaningful in life?
- Do you feel differently about the story or timeline of your life?
- Does reality feel a bit more malleable and open to you?
- Do you feel more inspired to be of service to others and the world?
- Do you feel more of a sense of belonging in life? Do you feel a sense of belonging in the practice community?
- Do you feel safer in life? Have you reduced the amount of fear-based decisions that you make?
- Do you feel more courageous in life?
- Can you see situations with more clarity?
- Are you able to speak your truth more easily?
- Are you able to relax and be more open in a wider range of situations?
- Are you able to give yourself more freely to experience?
- Are you able to be present in your experience more often?
- Can you honour and care for your body better? Can you honour your limitations as a single human animal better?
- Do you feel more connected and open with the people, places and world around you?
- Are you able to enjoy some situations more?
- Do you know yourself and your inner world better?
- Are you able to accept yourself more wholeheartedly?
- Are you able to accept others and the world more wholeheartedly?